Transfer IPS tag away from 1and1

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Just a quick post, to help any people who are trying to move their domains away from 1and1 internet. I have just had to do this again for one of my clients, and each time I have to dig up the information from google, so thought this time I would post the procedure here so other people might find it more easily.

Now, it’s not for me to criticise 1and1. They surely have their reasons for having such an awkward and undocumented method for people to move their domains to another provider, but just for the record, here is how you do it for .uk domains at least (I haven’t had to go through the torture of moving a .com or other TLD – Top Level Domain).

Basically, we will be changing the IPS tag (Sometimes known as the IPSTAG, or Internet Provider Security Tag) from 1and1’s (probably SCHLUND) to your new one (ukreg.com for example use FASTHOSTS). So, the first step is to find out what your new IPSTAG should be from your new domain registrar.

When you have this, go to https://contract.oneandone.co.uk/ and login to your 1and1 account as normal.

Click on the Change Contract link from the left. Click the package that contains the domain you wish to transfer away from 1and1. Choose to cancel contract. Select the nearest date to today as the date to do it, and choose the Change Provider option from the Cancellation Option drop-down box. Go to the Execute On drop-down box and choose “As soon as possible”.

After clicking Next, it will go on to ask you for an IPSTAG, so put the new one in and confirm again. After a while you will get an email from 1and1 asking you for confirmation. Click the link there, wait a few hours, and you should be finished! You can check when your IPSTAG has changed by going to nominet.org.uk and typing your domain name in their WHOIS box.

Tags:

9 Responses to “Transfer IPS tag away from 1and1”

1. Dan May 15, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Hey thanks for this, just what I was looking for.

One question.

Do you have to register the transfer with the new host before doing these steps at 1and1?

If not, then what’s to stop someone from hijacking your domain by requesting the domain transfer at the new reg before you get a chance?

• Steve May 16, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Hi Dan. No, with .uk domains, (Nominet) the process is more of a “push” – i.e. you set the new IPS tag on the domain – then you complete the transfer at the destination registrar. There is a slim chance that once you change the tag that another customer of the destination registrar might grab your domain – either accidentally or on purpose – I’ve seen this happen once, so don’t hang around once the tag changes. The trouble with 1&1 IMHO is that they can take ages to change a tag so you have to keep checking back at Nominet to see if it has actually updated 🙁

2. Stephen April 14, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Any idea why 1&1 wouldn’t accept my new hosts TAG? I’m trying to switch a domain to the tag AVENTURE but it doesn’t accept it.

Any help would be great!

• Steve April 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I would contact Nominet to verify that is a valid IPS tag.

3. Bill January 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Thanks for the info, very useful.

I would also be interested in knowing how long it takes for the domains to be tagged with the name of the new registrar.

I am completely finished with doing any business at all with 1and1. To make transferring domains away from them so hard and so obtuse is immoral at best.

4. James December 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Thanks, was interested to know how long it would take and glad you mention “a couple of hours” after changing the TAG with 1&1

I am used to other registrars changing immediately, so was a bit concerned when it didn’t change straight away.

5. Tim Houghton March 17, 2010 at 8:57 am #

Thanks, the number 1 result from Google for ‘1and1 IPS transfer’ (that’s you!) was useful today 🙂

6. Samjam October 31, 2009 at 7:38 am #

Thanks for the post. Really helped as other posts have out of date link to Contract page.

I have moved a .com from 1&1 to another provider and it was straight forward. For anyone looking to do this it can be done by unlocking the domain from the Domain control panel and then when you receive an email to authorise the transfer you will need to get the authorisation code found under ‘Info’ in Domain control panel.

7. John June 22, 2009 at 11:14 am #

Thank you for this post. It’s certainly made life easier for me!